Since we moved into the house last september I have been in the market for a new dresser. I had a long 6 drawer dresser with an attached mirror before which I loved but because of the look of the new room I wanted a tall skinny dresser with the same storage. So I had my eye on this one from IKEA (linked here) which I still love but I hated the price and never wanted to pay for a dresser. So instead my mom gave me this one from my old room at her house to make it exactly what I was looking for. It was free and I already had the knobs (which would normally be like 15-20$) and paint (which would have cost around 15$). So this dresser cost me nothing to flip and I love the way it came out!
As you can see, it is not the cutest dresser and really didn’t help to lighten up the space. I really didn’t like the pulls, the color and the flower feature or wood curves on the side of the top drawer. Luckily, those are all things I can change. I started by taking off all the hardware, cleaning the drawers out and hammering (because they were all nailed and glued) off the flower and curves on the sides of the top drawer. This step actually took me a really long time and some mistakes because those wood pieces were on there so tight I had to literally chizel it off. After that nightmare, I got to sanding the whole piece using a 80 and 120 grit sander and liquid sandpaper in the crevices. Then I added wood filler to the holes I did not need. I was a little lazy so I did not want to drill new holes so I kept outer hole from the pulls.
This is sanded, the holes filled and sanded. You can also see that I had to fill the part where the flower was on the middle top drawer because I made a little hole in the wood since it was so difficult to remove.
Then after three coats of paint and a clear matte top coat and the new knobs attached I had my dresser…
Leave a Reply