For Parents-During Covid
Dating is so fun and exciting at the beginning of relationships. The getting ready, the spontaneity of just going somewhere when you want to go, the freedom of not having to be back at a certain time. Then comes babies and trying to date your significant other… a whole different ball game.
Since having babies you are faced with a whole lot of obstacles to dating. You definitely don’t realize how much freedom you have to really do spontaneous (long) dates until you literally can’t! Brice and I have never really had any problems with dates until like our last three dates… almost a year into covid stuff and dates are just that much harder. We both are tired from work and babies, when we have my parents to watch the babies, we get so confused at what to do safely that we end up just driving around trying figuring out what to do and then have to be home after a couple hours and end up not doing anything. It just gets frustrating. So I have made this list to help make dates when we can’t actually go on a date, and how to have some ideas prepared for next time.
The main & obvious obstacle of dating while having children is obviously having someone you trust to watch them for you. I,personally, am so lucky to live so close to my family so that they can watch them for us. However, there are still so many obstacles to dating while being parents that definitely take a little more thought, effort and planning. These obstacles have definitely gotten harder since covid because it takes a little extra planning to find something safe and fun.
Some of the other obstacles are:
- Being too tired
- Not planning ahead
- Interrupted by baby
- Paying a babysitter/out of budget
- Timing- only have a certain amount of time you can be away/certain time free to leave
- Being in a rut
There are probably so many other challenges but those are just a few and so now I’m going to list how you can overcome those! Because dating is IMPORTANT. Some of the best advice I ever received was to put your relationship first because it 1. Is a good outlet for each of you to feel supported and fulfilled 2. It helps maintain a healthy,stable household for your family, 3. When your kids are grown your relationship will (hopefully) still be there with you (so water it so it can grow-healthy) and 4. It sets a good example for your children that you make time for each other and make each other feel special and loved.
So without anymore babbling from me… here are my list of date night ideas (all of these are tailored so they are also covid-safe)
DATE NIGHT IN IDEAS
1. Classic Movie Night- but make it better than just a normal night on the couch. Set the mood maybe pull in a mattress/make a comfy spot, get the snacks, drinks, lighting, take turns picking a movie. Better than going out because you’re already in your pajamas. Try this projector to make it extra special or so you can do it outside!
2. Game Night- I know what your thinking this is a boring list… but just keep reading I’m saving the best for last. So many ways to go with this option… card games, board games, puzzles, the blindfolded food taste game (watch us do it here…) whatever is your preference but make it spicy add a bet in, maybe fun little tasks for each round…pair it with your favorite drinks and snacks.
3. Cook together! – take turns being “head chef” . One person picks a meal and leads the way and then maybe one person does dessert & drinks.
4. Spa Night- This one we both definitely enjoy. Set the environment up: candles, soft lighting, a nice book/podcast or movie you can do together. Start with a bubble bath together then move to a masks, take turns doing massages for each other. Relax together
5. Take An Online Class Together- a mixology class, yoga class (check out my adorable friend and her husbands website for amazing yoga classes), dance class… try something new and out of your comfort zones. Grow together.
6. Fondue- order a kit online or just melt your own chocolate and serve up it up with your favorite treats! You could try this one.
6. Sit Outside Together- if you have your own backyard or access to an outside space. Take advantage of it. If it’s not somewhere you spend time normally it will have a totally different vibe without even leaving your house. This year I am really investing in my backyard so we can go out back and enjoy the weather, lights and maybe a fire without having to actually leave the babies. Do smores, bring your games, books, or movies outside to make a night of it.
Date Night Out Ideas
When you have a babysitter booked and your able to go out, that is the best! Since covid and having Kaikai we have tried to avoid busy, crowded places that we usually would venture out to. So in place of our normal night out at the bar we traded it in for a long walk on the beach at sunset! Literally we did this every single date for like 5 months straight then it started getting darker earlier so we had to find some other ideas.
1. So my first & favorite idea is do something slow and outside- like a walk on the beach. We would walk for like 45 minutes one way and turn around and walk back. It allowed for just great uninterrupted conversation and being outside. You can do this anywhere, not just the beach. Beach dates are so magical and definitely my favorite.
2. Our second favorite date is riding scooters! Our downtown area has electric scooters available to rent and ride around town. They are so fun! This one just lets you feel like a kid again and just focus on having fun with each other. If you don’t have scooters you could ride bikes! We have like to ride around on them then stop for a snack ( or a crepe for me… and the ride around again. That’s the whole date haha so simple but so fun!
3. In the last few years our town got a new ferry that goes across the bay and it is so fun. You just buy a ticket to go back and forth and you just enjoy the boat ride and the view. You could schedule it to where you can get dinner or walk around for a few hours and then ride it back or just ride there and back for fun haha.
4. Pick up some food from your favorite place and set up a nice romantic picnic for yourselves. Earlier this year I made a DIY POPUP PICNIC table (tutorial on that should be coming soon) and it’s perfect to bring for date nights or family park days! But Target has these cute picnic accessories (all linked here) that you can make the cutest set up with!
5. Set up a scavenger hunt for each other around town! Take turns planning it for each other. Add riddles or fun spots that are special to you all! I haven’t done it personally but my sister said that you can check out geocaching in your city and that’s like an actual scavenger hunt already set up!
6. Checking out a new museum in your city. I know in St.Pete there are a lot of awesome museums that are taking the necessary precautions to make it covid safe! If you’re local to St.Pete, you can visit the Museum of Fine Arts downtown! They have taken every measure to make it a safe and enjoyable experience!
7. Go for a spa night! I recently went to the Paint Nail Bar in St. Pete and they were doing covid safe pedicure date nights that had a whole vibe set up! That would be such a fun, relaxing outing too!
7. Make it custom to you and your significant other! Take turns planning and creating experiences for each other that you think they would enjoy! It’s fun to take turns surprising each other! Try new places and new things w it with each other!
Okay, that’s a long list! Hopefully they will be helpful to you and your significant other or inspire other ideas that work better for you! If you find something fun I would love to hear your ideas or if you try any of these I would love to hear about it! Leave your comments either on here or on my Instagram!
Go on a phot scavenger hunt draw up a list of things to find and do, then photograph them all. Print the photos into a book on Shutterfly and give it to your child to remember the date.